Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I have a problem.

I can't help it. I freaking love food.
More than that, I love good food. Hubs has recently put me on a "grocery budget diet" because I can easily spend $250/week in a blink of an eye (I must add that includes diapers/wipes/toiletrees/clothes....everything!).
 
 I buy ALWAYS buy organic dairy, meat, and produce....and I USUALLY buy organic snacks, grains, and beauty products mainly to due to their commitment to be GMO free (I know it's not always the case, but Whole Foods and Trader Joes store line is committed GMO free) and usually doesn't include food dyes and HFCS.  Anyway, I was at Kroger this weekend looking for quick snacks to give the kids...and I seriously couldn't find anything to give them that didn't have a food dye or gmo corn syrup. Ugh.

I typically give my kids two snacks a day... a fruit/veggie and then some sort or bar/muffin/cheese... So, I need to make these things. They may not be organic, but I can pronounce every ingredient. A plus. Real food. So, I guess you could say I'm on a real food quest. Here are some great recipes that I tried this weekend! Let me know if you try them, and love/hate them! :)
 
 
 
Banana and Sunbutter Muffins
(With Cauliflower and Squash)
Dairy Free/Peanut Free/Wheat Free
 
  • 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup Sunbutter for Peanut Free (Peanut butter and almond butter would work great)
  • 1/2 Cup Cauliflower Puree
  • 3 Bananas Mashed
  • 1/4 Squash Puree
  • 1 Large Egg White
  • 1 Cup Coconut Flour (or whole wheat)
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
These are seriously to die for. My kids eat them up! If you're not familiar with making purees... I just make the veggie in big batches... and puree with the cooking water in a blender. I freeze in baby food trays (but ice cube trays are the same) and I have bags and bags in my freezer of pureed fruits and veggies. Makes my job easier!
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl mix the brown sugar, banana, purees, egg white and nut butter with an immersion blender or wooden spoon.
3. In a plastic baggie mix all dry ingredients.
4. Mix all together with a wooden spoon. Do not over mix. Will be lumpy.
5. Put in muffin tins. Bake 15-20 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean)
 
I mix a tbs of brown sugar and flax seed meal and sprinkle on the muffins before I put them in the oven. It makes kind of a streusel topping !
 

 
I doubled the recipe and froze all of the muffins in sandwich baggies and put them all in a freezer bag. That way I can throw it into a lunch and it won't be freezer burned! :)
Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats
(In the Crockpot)
  • 2 Cups Steel Cut Oats
  • 1 Can Pumpkin
  • Lots of Cinnamon (haha)
  • 1 tbs of pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tbs vanilla
  • 7 Cups Water
  • 2 Cups Milk (I used vanilla flax...it was amazing! We don't use a ton of cows milk in our house. I don't love coconut or almond milk because of the additives. We drink flax and goats milk the most)
Put in all in the crock pot on low for 6-7 hours. The oatmeal is super yummy. It's "instant", and you know everything that's in it. I mean, take a look at a packet of instant oatmeal. There are probably 20 ingredients. This has 6 including spices!
 
This made enough for hubs and I to eat each day this week...and the kids ate it as snacks! I loved a banana cut up on top with a  little extra cinnamon! :)


 
 

Vanilla Protein Bread
(Disclaimer: I don't love this. Hubs on the other had did. He puts raw honey or cream cheese on it. Me...I'll pass)
  • 1/2 Cup of Cauliflower Puree
  • 1/2 Cup Egg Whites
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Cup Vanilla Protein Powder
  • 1 Tbs Raw Honey
  • 1 tbs Vanilla
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Pinch of Cinnamon
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan. Add all ingredients and mix with an immersion blender or blender. Bake for 40 mins. Top should be brown and firm to touch!
I use My Fitness Pal! Add me! TheMrsCicero

Let me know if you try any recipes! :)



 
 

4 comments:

  1. I'm going give all of these recipes a try.. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you continue to post more of your recipes. I need to get on track with what we eat. Especially for the boys. I just feel I have no time to research foods and recipes right now. And, we don't have great store like whole foods and TJs here. So, I'm stuck. But, hopefully your recipes will help me out!! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeek....love these recipes!! I am definitely going to try them!! I love food too! And eating healthy/clean takes some $$$. But I feel like it's worth the extra dollars. Gives me peace of mind. I need to really work on limiting my kids snacks. I think I allow them to eat too many, because growing up, I got told no, a lot. Not only because I didn't need them, but because my parents just couldn't afford a lot of food. I am a work in progress for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making the oats right now, ands ent the recipe to my vegan brother in Montreal. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete