Search This Blog

Saturday, October 19, 2013

What the Hell Am I Doing????

Sooo... clearly I have no idea what I'm doing! I've read a *few* blogs here and there, but by no means have I ever followed a blog...well, except for Tara (but that's only because I have a mini-girl crush...shhh!). So, essentially I've read a few blogs to get a recipe after I've pinned something from pinterest. I've read stalked quite a few girls from Instagram from time to time, too. Long winded point, I'm clueless. Like, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. But, stick with me...eventually I'll figure it out.

I'm going to warn you... I'm not funny. I'm not a fitness badass. I'm not a gourmet cook. I'm not an amazing parent, or wife. I don't eat healthy all the time. I never say the right things.

But, I am painfully blunt. A wannabe runner. A cook who loves to try new things. A mom who loves her kids enough to look stupid, act stupid, and sound stupid. A wife that is so enamored with hubs that she writes ridiculous love notes on his bananas on the reg. I feed my kids well, but I fight the urge to drink bottles of cab and eat pizza and taco bell errrrry damn day.

I'm just feeling my way through, day to day...night to night. I was a working mom until one year ago....and I'm just now getting the hang of it. Eventually, I'll be the best mom I can be, but I'm just not there yet. Kinda like blogging. Eventually, I'll be better. I'm just not there yet.

Until then-I'll stick to what I know. I'm a huge advocate for organic food. Ridiculously so. We are not rich. We have a strict budget, but we find a way to work it. I buy almost all of our food organic, and most of our beauty/body products. I posted on my instagram (TheMrsCicero) a few days ago how eating organic is actually cheaper than fast food. I'll highlight another recipe where this is the case!

Taco Pasta
 


21 oz Organic Ground Beef (Costco) $4.50/pound
1/2 Jar of Organic Salsa $5 (Costco)
3/4 Box Organic Fusilli Pasta (Whole Foods) $2
3/4 Organic Red Pepper (Whole Foods) $2
1/2 Organic White Onion (Whole Foods-Bulk) $0.65
 
Topped with; Organic Sour Cream (Whole Foods) $3/Container and Organic Valley Cheddar ($5) ...Obviously we didn't use the whole container of sour cream, salsa or cheese. But, I'll factor in the whole cost...
 
                                                                                            
$22.65/8 (family of four eating dinner twice)= $2.83
 per serving
 
That's insane. I included the full cost of salsa, sour cream, and cheese...and our meal came to $2.83 a person. I also froze 1/4 of the meat, salsa, red pepper, onion mixture for two/three lunches of taco salad/tacos for later this month.
 
I saved 1/4 of the peppers for a lunch veggie this week, and chopped 1/2 onion and froze for a later recipe. That means... $2.83 is way more than I actually paid.
 
Directions;
  1. Mince onions and pepper (chopped fine for picky eaters!) and add ground beef. Brown. (I also added garlic, turmeric, and chili powder. Organic-in bulk...probably $0.25).
  2. Add Salsa
  3. Cook Pasta while meat is browning
  4. Mix all together!
Seriously, this couldn't be easier.
 
 
It should be noted that my hubs eats like a horse... He had two helpings on Friday night, and a huge bowl on Saturday. My kids also ate this up!
 
 
It always seems like a lot of money to buy organic. It adds up, but if you plan it out... We buy a lot in bulk, and I always freeze whatever I can't use that week.
 
 
Have any good recipes to share??
 

4 comments:

  1. I beg to differ... I've been following you for quite awhile and you are a freaking fantastic mom and wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Brtiney! You ARE fantastic!! I've stalked your Instagram for so long, now I get to stalk you here!
    And we all start somewhere! I've had my blog for a year, and I still feel like such a child writing posts...when I do find time to write one! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! Thanks for the love! Your posts are amazing! :)

      Delete